Intervention level: Basic and execution project
Client: Carlos III Health Institute
Location: Majadahonda, Madrid.
Project year: 2014
Total built: 8.368,97 m²
Construction company: Sacyr
- Collaboration with *.
- HIB Labplanners .
- ARC BCN Enginyers Consultors.
The project consists on the expansion of the National Microbiology Center at the Carlos III Health Institute Campus to house the new BSL3 laboratory and Animal room.
The formal and tectonic resolution of the building can be summarized in the following intentions:
- Modular design / industrialized construction. Structure, facade, distribution, laboratories, etc.
- Definition of a unit image of the set
- Definition of facades adapted according to the interior uses
- Passive solar protection using fixed prefabricated solar filters adapted to the openings and to the different orientations.
- Use of the minimum number of materials
The Animal room has been designed surrounded by a passable perimeter ring that allows to establish two main corridors:
– A clean corridor for the access of personnel, animals and materials / equipment to the different housing / animal experimentation modules.
– A dirty corridor that facilitates the flow of dirty materials and equipment to the laundry area, as well as the removal of generated waste to a storage area contemplated for that purpose. In this Animal room, two areas have been differentiated for the accommodation of animals: one area with a breeding module and another for experimentation, designed to operate under a level of biological containment type 2 (NCB2). A barrier area for stabling / experimentation with specific pathogen free rodents (SPF).
The BSL3 laboratory will be established in a box in box type construction, as it ensures biological containment, with the external enclosure, leaving two technical areas to be visited, one for the air system (HVAC and process gases) located at the top of the laboratory and the other for the containment of liquid effluents in the lower part of the laboratory. Both rooms will be provided with leak detectors with the necessary signaling, to give greater security of containment to the installation.